How should I organize my accessible kitchen?

Here are some tips for organizing your accessible kitchen:
  • Place frequently used or heavy items in lower cabinets. Consider adding pull-out boards under the countertop as a step between shelves and counter, slide-out shelves in the cabinets for easier access to items, or spring-assisted shelving to help raise heavy items to countertop height. See these options demonstrated at a quality kitchen or cabinet shop.
  • Store dishes vertically within easy reach. Instead of stacking heavy dishes, stand them on end. (Do the same with baking sheets and pans.) You can purchase cabinets with this feature or create your own by adding small dowels to create a space to stand plates in existing cabinets. Inexpensive, ready-made inserts may be found at discount stores or mail-order catalogs. To make access to dishes even easier, move them to a lower cabinet that is easier to reach and consider removing doors to this heavily used area.
  • Install cabinet, drawer, and pull-down, under-the-cabinet organizers. It is much easier (and safer in the case of knives) to find things if you have a place for everything and everything in its place. Standard organizers are made for drawers, cabinets, pantries, and more. See what is available at a kitchen design store online or in your home town; mail order catalogs often offer inexpensive versions. To make your own low-cost drawer organizers, use binder clips and an assortment of flat boxes and containers and clip them together.
  • Use lightweight baskets inside cupboards to keep small things tidy and within reach.
  • Use a Lazy Susan or turntable in the refrigerator and in cupboards to bring items to you rather than having to reach for them.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
Are there any shortcomings of the Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS) clearly has its shortcomings. First, some read it to suggest a...