How do I find a prosthetist who understands upper limb amputation?

Because 15 times as many amputees lose lower limbs as upper limbs, finding the best prosthetist who understands upper limb loss is not easy. The Amputee Coalition of America’s Upper Limb Loss Advisory Council recommends evaluating a prosthetist’s experience and comfort level with upper-limb prostheses before making a commitment. Be sure to find out how many people with upper limb loss the prosthetist has treated. Ask if you can speak to another client for whom the prosthetist made an upper limb prosthesis. Make sure the prosthetist is certified through a professional organization, and find out the cost, which could sway you either way. Asking questions before you make a commitment to a prosthetist can help you make the best decision, considering your special needs with an upper limb loss.one for upper limb loss.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is a certified orthotist?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
An orthotist is a practitioner who helps people with disabilities of the spine and limbs. Orthotics ...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...