How does a prosthetic work in growing children?

Children will need to change their prosthesis in order to adapt to their changing size and skills. Very young babies will not need a prosthetic. But as soon as children are physically able and interested in moving, crawling, and grabbing, some kind of prosthesis can be started. Often children won't want to use a prosthesis, because they have adapted with other parts of their body and are comfortable and capable of completing tasks in alternative ways. Teenagers may become more concerned about appearances and use their prosthesis more.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
What does being disabled mean?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is a person w...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...