How does a prosthesis stay on?

There are several ways a prosthesis can be attached to a stump. It may be held on with suction, a locking pin, or with a harness. Each method has advantages and drawbacks. A harness can be bulky and not move as well as the other systems. A locking pin may cause irritation where it contacts the stump. Suction is generally considered the best choice, but the user must put the prosthesis on precisely in order to get secure suction.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
Are there any shortcomings of the Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS) clearly has its shortcomings. First, some read it to suggest a...
What is the Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Most disability scales used in the United States today only measure physical impairment and the ab...