How can I find a professional certified in making homes more accessible?

The National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) trains remodeling contractors on how to remodel houses to help those with limitations due to aging or disabilities remain independent and stay in their homes longer and more safely. If you need help making your home more accessible, contact the NARI chapter in your area and ask for referrals to remodeling contractors who are certified or specialize in aging in place. To find a chapter near you, visit the national NARI website.

The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) provides a state-by-state directory of building professionals that will help you find a Certified Aging in Place Specialist in your area. If you do not have access to the Internet, contact your local library to locate the office near you or contact NAHB.

Aging in Place Professionals is an organization who’s mission is to help people to safely and creatively remain in their home of choice for as long as confidently possible. A wide array of professionals are represented -- builders, remodelers, architects, interior designers, and related professionals -- and they are a wealth of information. Check out their online home tour videos demonstrating universal design principles in an actual home.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
What are the treatment options for speech impairments?
Treatment options for speech impairments will vary according to the specific kind and its cause. Spe...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...