How can I prepare to discuss my paralysis with my doctor?

To prepare for your appointment, make a list of important questions to ask your doctor. You might want to ask about treatments that are available to you and get referrals for some specialists, such as a rehabilitation specialist or physiatrist, physical therapist, and dietician. You may also want to bring a friend to help you remember what to ask and to help keep track of your doctor's answers.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...
What is the Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Most disability scales used in the United States today only measure physical impairment and the ab...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...