How does a physical therapist help me use my prosthesis?

A physical therapist is trained in body mechanics and muscle strengthening and stretching exercises. When a person uses a prosthesis, they may be using their bodies in new ways to adapt to the change in weight and balance that occur. Sometimes this causes stress on other parts of the body and could lead to hip and back pain. A physical therapist can suggest exercises that will prevent those problems. See a physical therapist if you already have pain, they can probably help.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...
What conditions are seen by a speech pathologist?
Speech pathologists work with people who have conditions that cause difficulty with speech (hearing/...
Who is eligible for handicapped parking placards?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Ironically, many people who are eligible fail to apply because they are in denial about their disabi...