How does paralysis affect the body?

Paralysis can affect the body in a variety of ways. In addition to making someone unable to move, paralysis makes nerves in the brain unable to communicate with parts of the body responsible for some bodily functions. This can lead to a lack of bladder control, which may make people more likely to get urinary tract infections. In addition, being immobile can cause pressure ulcers, commonly known as "bed sores, " or sometimes being sedentary can cause blood clots to develop in the veins. Paralysis can also cause depression.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
How are speech impairments diagnosed?
Children and adults who are suspected of having speech impairments will have their speech evaluated ...
What is offered to veterans with low vision after combat?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Operation Peer SupportIn the United States today there are around 160,000 veterans who are legally b...