How can I make my locks more accessible?

To make locks more accessible, replace a standard lock with a keyless entry lock. Getting in the door is easier if you do not have to fumble with keys. Today there are many alternatives. You can go hi-tech and punch a code into a keypad or use a one-button remote control, similar to the one that opens newer cars. Some can even open the door for you. Ask a locksmith, your security system company, or at a home improvement store about the many options available, or search “keyless locks” on the Internet.

Key turners with built-up handles give you greater leverage and make turning keys easier. You can make one by placing the head of the key over a comfortable piece of pipe or dowel and securing it with a rubber band wrapped around the key head like a figure-8 or “X,” or by using craft putty to fashion a comfortable handle. Ergonomically designed key turners are available in discount catalogs and websites that cater to the elderly.

A lighted key cover makes it easier to find the keyhole and you can use it to light the sidewalk as you walk. Bright colors and different shapes and textures aid those with visual limitations to identify specific keys.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Who is eligible for handicapped parking placards?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Ironically, many people who are eligible fail to apply because they are in denial about their disabi...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...