How can I make my house more wheelchair-accessible?

There are a number of things you can do to make your house more accessible. The standard wheelchair needs a minimum of 5 feet (60′′ × 60′′) to turn around. Actually, a space longer than wider (63′′ × 56′′ is often preferable, especially in the kitchen and bathroom). This holds true for walkers too. For a wheelchair or a person on a walker to get through without scraping knuckles, doorways need to be a minimum of 32 inches, but preferably 36 inches wide. You need the turning radius of your wheelchair, plus 18 to 24 inches of clearance on the side of the door that opens (so that you can get around it).

The average person can reach a maximum of 48 inches to the front and 54 inches to the side, no higher than 52 to 60 inches, and no lower than 9 inches on the side or 12 inches in front. Countertops should be 27 to 32 inches high depending on work to be done there. Note: If you are taller, your range of reach will be more, if you are shorter, your range of reach will be less. Adjust accordingly.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Who is eligible for handicapped parking placards?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Ironically, many people who are eligible fail to apply because they are in denial about their disabi...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....
How long does speech therapy treatment last?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is difficulty to say how long speech therapy treatment will last. Some problems can be fixed fair...