How can I make my garage more accessible?

There are a few things you should keep in mind when making your garage more accessible:

To accommodate a wheelchair-accessible van in your garage you need a space 15 to 16 feet wide and 7 to 8 feet high.

Install an automatic garage door opener. Doing so will give you several advantages:
  • Easy access to the garage without having to get out of the vehicle.
  • An automatic light to welcome you home and light your way as you exit your vehicle.
  • A keyless method of entering your home or letting others in.
Use high-contrast and reflective tape to mark safe pathways and keep those areas clear.

Install high-wattage light bulbs to help you clearly see your way to the door. You may want to consider adding extra light fixtures and motion sensor fixtures.

Clear out unnecessary stuff from your garage. If you haven’t used it in a year, have a garage sale or donate it to charity. For the stuff you need to keep, consider Gladiator GarageWorks; their heavy-duty plastic tracks are installed along the wall and can be fitted with cabinets, hooks, or baskets that keep items easily visible. This is a nice way to contain the clutter and keep the floor clear and safe. Before purchasing, be sure to use their planning guide to decide which storage options work best for you.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How long does speech therapy treatment last?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is difficulty to say how long speech therapy treatment will last. Some problems can be fixed fair...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
Who is eligible for handicapped parking placards?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Ironically, many people who are eligible fail to apply because they are in denial about their disabi...