How can a lower door threshold help me if I have a disability?

Once you get to the door of your house, is there a high threshold that is hard to get over due to your disability? If the threshold is wood, a quick fix is to sand down the edges on each side (interior and exterior) to create a smooth hump that is easier to slide or roll over, especially when using a wheelchair or scooter. If you need a longer lead way to get over a particularly high threshold, try making a wedge out of a standard piece of lumber (1”x2” or 2”x6” will likely work best) and affix it to the edge of your current door threshold. Ask at the lumber yard if they might cut and sand it down for you. 

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...
How are speech impairments diagnosed?
Children and adults who are suspected of having speech impairments will have their speech evaluated ...