How long will it take to adapt to my prosthesis?

The length of time it takes to adapt to your prosthesis may vary according to your individual circumstances. You may get a temporary prosthesis to use for a few months, then get your permanent prosthesis when your stump has healed completely. Learning to use a prosthesis takes a lot of work and determination. You may master one skill, and decide to move on to a new more challenging activity. Work with your prosthetics team to feel comfortable using your prosthesis to its fullest capability.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Two agencies, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Health and...
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...