How can I make my life easier if I'm chronically ill or disabled?

There are several ways you can make your life as a disabled or chronically ill person easier:
  • Arrange your home for your convenience. Sometimes this means putting handrails or grab bars in strategic locations to help you walk from room to room or placing a chair halfway down a long hallway so that you can stop to rest. Sometimes it means purchasing duplicate cleaning supplies for both upstairs and downstairs, or kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room, so that you do not have to spend excess energy going back and forth. Only you know what this means for you.
  • Ask for help when you need it. Take advantage of products, services, and people that are available. When you need something or someone to help you, do not look at it as giving in, but instead look at it as making intelligent decisions that will make your life easier and safer. Besides, asking for help gives others the pleasure of doing a good deed. (You know how good you feel when you do something for someone else.)
  • Use technology. New technology is created everyday that may make it easier for you to do what you want to do. Remote controlled devices and cordless phones save steps. Speaker phones, voice mail, and wireless intercoms can be used to save time and energy. Computers are good for keeping records, keeping a journal, and writing letters. A smartphone can keep you connected and synchronizes with your computer to help you keep track of people, appointments, and your schedule all in one place. An Internet connection can expand your horizons, whether doing research on your condition or providing opportunities to communicate with others. Keep abreast of technological changes and make full use of every option helpful to you.
  • Use labor-saving devices. There are many labor-saving devices available to make almost any task easier. For example, reachers come in various lengths, weights, and means of operation. Find the styles that work for you in various situations (reaching cans on a shelf, picking something up off the floor, etc.). Timers, magnifiers, organizers, special telephones, and light switch extenders are just a few of the many products that may make everyday tasks easier for you to accomplish.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Should I make an exercise schedule regardless of disability?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
An exercise schedule should always be constructed regardless of your restrictions.  If we do not set...
Who is eligible for handicapped parking placards?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Ironically, many people who are eligible fail to apply because they are in denial about their disabi...
How does a speech pathologist help with stuttering?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist can help with stuttering by detecting both the frequency of stuttering as well ...