How can I borrow library books without leaving home if I am disabled?

Most libraries will let you reserve books or materials by calling and holding them until you are able to pick them up. Your local library might provide an electronic version of the "card catalog" that allows you to browse the library's entire collection and reserve materials from your home via the Internet. An email is generated to inform you when the books are in and ready for pickup. Some communities have volunteers who will drop off and pick up library materials at no charge for people with special needs.

If you have a documented physical or visual disability, you may qualify for the Talking Book Program of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. The books, which require a special tape player that is loaned to you free of charge, are sent and returned by mail postage free.
Multiple Sclerosis (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

This completely revised second edition of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier contains tips, techniques, and shortcuts to help MS patients organize and simplify their lives. With over...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
What is a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist (or a speech-language pathologist) is a professional who is trained (master's o...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...