How can I add grab bars to my bathroom make it more accessible?

Grab bars are essential in the bathroom where humidity and wet surfaces increase the likelihood of slipping and falling. Many styles are available today that are both decorative and supportive, including ergonomically angled and fold-down styles, as well as some that do double duty as towel bars, toilet paper holders, and decorative support built into and around faucets and soap dishes. Here are some things to keep in mind if you decide to install grab bars in your accessible bathroom:
  • Make sure grab bars are installed where they give you the assistance you need. If you need help determining where the grab bars should be located to provide you with the support you need, consult an occupational therapist or contact your local Independent Living Center (ILC) and ask if they can recommend a builder/remodeler who understands the needs of people with disabilities.
  • Install permanent grab bars securely into the studs or a wall reinforced with three-quarter-inch plywood. Only you know the proper height and angle that is right for you. One way to determine where your grab bars should be permanently installed is by trying a portable, suction cup grab bar at various angles and locations.
  • Install contrasting bars for better visibility. Install dark bars on light walls, light bars on dark walls, or wrap them with colored tape to make them easier to see. Avoid chrome and other glossy or high-glare finishes.
  • Consider adding a floor-to-ceiling support pole next to the tub and/or shower. A variety of support rails are designed for installation over the side of the tub. If these are not secure enough for you, consider installing a transfer pole.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Two agencies, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Health and...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
What is offered to veterans with low vision after combat?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Operation Peer SupportIn the United States today there are around 160,000 veterans who are legally b...