How can I do fewer errands if I have mobility issues?

Do your banking from home:
  • Bank by mail. Ask the bank for stamped, self-addressed envelopes for mailing deposits and payments. Have the bank process your transactions and return the receipts to you or track them online. If possible, arrange for your checks to be automatically deposited to your account.
  • Ask about bill-paying assistance. Some banks will send a representative to your home to help you with your bill paying and record keeping.
  • Pay household bills electronically. Set up payments once and each month, utility, credit card and other bill payments will be automatically deducted from your account. You’ll receive documentation of the transactions.
  • Bank online, where you can check deposits, authorize payments and track all activity on your account any time, day or night. With a few clicks of a mouse, your bills are paid and the bank does the rest. Shop around and choose a bank that offers the services you need at little or no cost to you.
File an absentee ballot to avoid leaving home to vote. Contact the city clerk in your area for a permanent absentee ballot. You will receive a ballot several weeks before each election, and then cast your vote by mail.

More About this Book


Arthritis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier is a compendium of tips, techniques, and life-task shortcuts all learned from personal experience. Author Shelley Peterman Schwarz has lived with a chronic...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Read More
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...
More Answers
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...
More Answers
What is an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Two agencies, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Health and...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.