How can an electric door opener help me if I have a disability?

For maximum independence if you have a disability, you can install an electric door opener. If you are unable to turn keys or open or close doors, an electric door opener opens the door for you with a remote control or keypad. And when you are inside, you can open the door remotely, “buzzing” in your guests, just like you might at an apartment entry. These devices can even be operated by pressure sensitive mats or whisper devices for the severely disabled. Electric door openers tend to be on the expensive side, however.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What is the Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Most disability scales used in the United States today only measure physical impairment and the ab...
How long does speech therapy treatment last?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is difficulty to say how long speech therapy treatment will last. Some problems can be fixed fair...
What conditions are seen by a speech pathologist?
Speech pathologists work with people who have conditions that cause difficulty with speech (hearing/...