How does dysprosody affect the body?

As dysprosody is such a rare condition, researchers are still trying to pinpoint exactly how it affects the body. In most cases, the disorder is brought on by some sort of damage to the right hemisphere of a person's brain. This damage can be caused by strokes, tumors, traumatic injuries, and the like. Once a person has dysprosody, their speech changes. Some consonants, vowels, and even words are spoken with different inflections and stresses, creating a foreign-sounding accent. Hence the condition is also known as pseudo-foreign dialect or foreign accent syndrome.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How are speech impairments diagnosed?
Children and adults who are suspected of having speech impairments will have their speech evaluated ...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...