How do cosmesis prosthetics work?

The three primary parts of a cosmesis prosthesis are the interface, the components, and the cover. The interface, which includes a frame and socket, is the part that is affixed to the body at the stump. Either a liner, typically made of silicone or soft polyurethane, or a sock is worn over the stump to make the prosthesis fit tighter and feel more comfortable. The components are the joints, the parts that function as hands and feet, and also the metal trunk, which takes the place of major bones. A cover, which is optional, is usually made of foam to resemble the missing limb. And if the user chooses, it can also have a protective covering designed to look like real skin.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How long does speech therapy treatment last?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is difficulty to say how long speech therapy treatment will last. Some problems can be fixed fair...
What does being disabled mean?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is a person w...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...