How do I care for the skin that is in contact with the prosthesis?

The skin that is in constant contact with the prosthesis will need special attention. Friction from the socket of the prosthesis and trapped moisture can damage the skin and cause infection. This can make the user unable to wear the prosthesis for long periods of time and can eventually even require surgery. To care for the skin, bathe the stump every day with a colorless, odorless antibacterial soap. Applying antiperspirant and baby oil may also help the skin on the stump stay healthy. Maintaining overall good health and diet also helps your skin stay healthy. If you suspect you have a skin infection, consult your doctor to get it taken care of right away.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...