How can a cane help me if I freeze while walking?

If you use a cane with a small golf club-type protrusion at the bottom, it can make walking easier because it tricks your mind into thinking you’re stepping over something. Take a collapsible cane with you when you walk. When you freeze, assemble the cane and gently kick the end near the floor.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How long does speech therapy treatment last?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is difficulty to say how long speech therapy treatment will last. Some problems can be fixed fair...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....
Are there any shortcomings of the Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Kurtzke Disability Status Scale (DSS) clearly has its shortcomings. First, some read it to suggest a...