How can a peer counselor help me with my prosthesis?

In prosthetics, a peer counselor is someone who has been a prosthetic user for a while and is trained in talking to new users. Usually a peer counselor will be the same age and gender as you are and will have a similar prosthesis as you. These counselors can not only give you one-on-one moral support, but practical advice on how to adapt and what to expect from the prosthetics process. Even more help can be found in private counseling or support groups for amputees.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
What does vision loss mean for veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss means the lack of vision where it existed before. For many people, including war warrior...