How can automatic lighting help me if I have a disability?

If you have a disability, make sure you can see where you are going by installing automatic lighting. Motion sensor lights, readily available at hardware and home improvement stores, can be easily installed with a few simple tools. Once you are inside, sound and voice activated lights can be turned on and off at will as you move through the house. There are also whole-house control systems that allow you to turn lights on and off throughout the house using a master control or a remote, the latter being nice when leaving or returning home in the dark. Look for these at home improvement or lighting stores. If you have a home security system, ask the company if they have a compatible lighting system. 

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...
What does being disabled mean?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is a person w...