Does dysarthria affect children differently than adults?

Dysarthria is a speech impediment that has similar effects in both children and adults. In both cases, a failure to properly control the muscles needed for speech results in slurred or distorted language, which can be difficult to understand. In both children and adults, it may cause issues with controlling the volume, intonation, and rate of speech. For a young child who has not yet mastered speaking, diagnosing dysarthria is more difficult than diagnosing the condition in adults. In a young child, common symptoms may include early sucking, chewing and swallowing problems; a tendency to gag or choke frequently; and difficulty eating age-appropriate, solid foods.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and ...
What is the Disability Status Scale (DSS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Most disability scales used in the United States today only measure physical impairment and the ab...