Do children grow out of speech impairments?

Whether a child grows out of a speech impairment depends on the cause and type of the speech impairment. For instance, a child who stutters is very likely to grow out of the speech impairment. However, if your child has a speech impairment caused by mental retardation, it is unlikely that he or she will grow out of the impairment.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...
How does a speech pathologist help with stuttering?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist can help with stuttering by detecting both the frequency of stuttering as well ...