Can I use crutches or a wheelchair instead of the prosthesis?

You can use anything you want when it comes to being active with limb loss. Some people do not want a prosthesis and prefer using crutches, canes or walkers. In addition, if you have a bilateral amputation and have lost strength, you may be unable to use a prosthesis. You may find a wheelchair gives you security and also lets you get around. However, those who do opt for a prosthesis find that this artificial limb affords them more freedom and mobility to do the things they enjoy in life. Most people who have lost one limb use crutches at certain times such as at nighttime.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
What conditions are seen by a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Speech pathologists work with people who have conditions that cause difficulty with speech (hearing/...
Who is eligible for an NED-II voucher?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To be eligible for a Non-elderly Disabled Category II (NED-II) voucher, you must be a non-elderly pe...