When does social phobia start?

Social phobia usually starts during the child or teen years, usually at about age 13. A doctor can tell that a person has social phobia if the person has had symptoms for at least six months. Without treatment, social phobia can last for many years or a lifetime.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Mental Health.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
How do phobias affect the body?
The affect phobias have on the body are somewhat similar to those experienced when real life and dea...
How will my phobia affect my children?
Your own phobias may make it more likely that your children will suffer from phobias of their own. A...
What can I do if I freeze when approaching narrow spaces?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To get “unstuck” from a freeze that may occur when you approach narrow spaces, try these tips:Do...