What are some common phobias?

Some of the more common phobias are agoraphobia, a fear of being unable to escape social situations, and fear of heights, also known as acrophobia. Fear of sharp objects, known as belonephobia; fear of confined spaces, known as claustrophobia; and fear of flying, known as aviophobia, are also among the more common phobias. The severity of symptoms for these phobias can be mild to severe.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What is xenophobia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Xenophobia, according to Merriam-Webster, is the hatred and fear of foreigners or strangers or anyth...
How do I know if the kind of phobia I have is serious?
To know whether or not the phobia you have is serious, ask yourself how greatly it interrupts your a...
How will my phobia affect my children?
Your own phobias may make it more likely that your children will suffer from phobias of their own. A...