What increases my risk for situational phobias?

Phobias affect individuals of all ages and both genders. But certain groups are more at risk. You are more likely to develop a phobia if you are under age 25, and particularly if you are between 11 and 15 years old. The existence of a situational phobia in an immediate family member increases the likelihood of that same phobia developing in another family member. Women are much more likely than men to develop situational phobias, although this information may be skewed due to public pressure for men to hide feelings of fearfulness.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
Can phobias develop at anytime?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Yes, phobias can develop at any time.Watching someone react fearfully to a situation or a traumatic ...
How do I know if the kind of phobia I have is serious?
To know whether or not the phobia you have is serious, ask yourself how greatly it interrupts your a...
How common are phobias?
Individual phobias are not actually common. In fact, they are very rare. Social phobias and anxiety ...