What increases my risk for phobias?

The factors that may increase your risk for phobias are not entirely clear. There seems to be a relationship between your parents or family members having particular phobias and your likelihood to have the same phobias. Scientists are not clear whether this is due to genetic or environmental factors. It seems that traumatic events can be a contributing factor in the development of phobias as well.

Traumatic events often lead to specific phobia. Genes are also believed to play a role because the tendency to develop specific phobia runs in families.

Twice as many women as men develop specific phobia. People who have a close relative with specific phobia are at higher risk. A terrifying or deeply troubling experience, as well as a genetic predisposition, increases the likelihood of developing specific phobia.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What are some common phobias?
Some of the more common phobias are agoraphobia, a fear of being unable to escape social situations,...
Do phobias affect children differently than adults?
Phobias can affect both adults and children, and children of anxious parents are more likely to deve...
What can I do if I freeze when approaching narrow spaces?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To get “unstuck” from a freeze that may occur when you approach narrow spaces, try these tips:Do...