What are situational phobias?

A situational phobia is a type of specific phobic disorder in which an irrational fear of a particular situation causes an intense physical and emotional reaction. Unlike reasonable fear associated with real-life danger, the phobia creates an excessive and irrational fear that interferes with an individual's daily life. People with situational phobias may even know that their fears are irrational, but the intense physical response to the situation is very real and may include such symptoms as panic, terror, trembling, hyperventilating, and avoidance of the trigger. Common situational phobias include the fear of confined spaces, open places, heights, flying, dentists, and needles.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
Why do we often freeze up during public speaking?
This response is called tonic immobility, and it's not be confused with the inability to walk out of...
What can I do if I freeze when approaching narrow spaces?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To get “unstuck” from a freeze that may occur when you approach narrow spaces, try these tips:Do...
Can phobias develop at anytime?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Yes, phobias can develop at any time.Watching someone react fearfully to a situation or a traumatic ...