What are common situational phobias?

A situational phobia is a type of specific phobic disorder in which an irrational fear of a particular situation causes an intense physical and emotional reaction. Common situational phobias include fears of heights, open spaces, public speaking, test-taking, dentists, and flying. Many people also get stage fright and develop phobias of needles and crossing bridges.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
Do phobias affect children differently than adults?
Phobias can affect both adults and children, and children of anxious parents are more likely to deve...
How will my phobia affect my children?
Your own phobias may make it more likely that your children will suffer from phobias of their own. A...
Why do we often freeze up during public speaking?
This response is called tonic immobility, and it's not be confused with the inability to walk out of...