Should I talk to my doctor about my animal phobia symptoms?

If you believe that your anxiety is irrational, excessive, or disruptive to your life, see your doctor, who can evaluate whether the anxiety results from an animal phobia. Your doctor can then refer you to a mental health professional for further evaluation, if necessary. It is important to discuss your symptoms with your doctor because through treatment, most individuals with animal phobias can overcome their fears. Treatments may include cognitive behavioral therapy and medications.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What is coulrophobia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Coulrophobia is the fear of clowns. Horror writer Ramsey Campbell noted that he thinks people are af...
Can phobias develop at anytime?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Yes, phobias can develop at any time.Watching someone react fearfully to a situation or a traumatic ...
How do I know if the kind of phobia I have is serious?
To know whether or not the phobia you have is serious, ask yourself how greatly it interrupts your a...