Do situational phobias affect children differently than adults?

Situational phobias can develop in early childhood or in adulthood. Children often grow out of specific phobias, however, whereas adults usually require treatment for their phobias. The manner in which children develop phobias may differ from adults. A child may learn to fear a situation by observing a parent's fearful reaction to that situation. In this way, children's coping skills and recovery are especially influenced by their parents.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What can I do if I freeze when approaching narrow spaces?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To get “unstuck” from a freeze that may occur when you approach narrow spaces, try these tips:Do...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?
If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an o...
What is coulrophobia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Coulrophobia is the fear of clowns. Horror writer Ramsey Campbell noted that he thinks people are af...