Should my child see a doctor to treat his fear or phobia?

Fear of certain specific objects or situations is common, normal, and usually temporary in young children. Treatment is warranted only if fears are excessive and unreasonable, persist for a long time, or occur at an inappropriate age. Some common objects of childhood phobias are thunderstorms, water, elevators, choking, blood, large animals, and insects.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What can I do if I freeze when approaching narrow spaces?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To get “unstuck” from a freeze that may occur when you approach narrow spaces, try these tips:Do...
What are some common phobias?
Some of the more common phobias are agoraphobia, a fear of being unable to escape social situations,...
What research is being done regarding phobias?
Currently, there is research being done to test the effectiveness of new drug therapies on the anxie...