How is social phobia different from normal nervousness?

It is normal to be nervous before a big date or an important presentation. Social anxiety disorders are distinguished from normal nervousness by the intensity (very high) of your fear, the duration (long term) of the anxiety, and lifestyle impact (i.e. your fears prevent you from doing other things that are important to you). Another important feature of social anxiety disorder is that the anxiety and self-consciousness are disproportionate to the situation, and the person with the disorder is aware of this. For example, you may feel very strongly that everyone is watching you when you eat at a restaurant, but you logically understand that that is probably not the case.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?
If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an o...
How will my phobia affect my children?
Your own phobias may make it more likely that your children will suffer from phobias of their own. A...
How do I know if the kind of phobia I have is serious?
To know whether or not the phobia you have is serious, ask yourself how greatly it interrupts your a...