How is social phobia different in children than in adults?

The symptoms and diagnostic criteria for social phobia differ somewhat for children and adults. In children, common symptoms are crying, throwing tantrums, and withdrawing when in the company of unfamiliar peers or adults. But children with social phobia are capable of appropriate social relationships with familiar people. Their symptoms must last at least six months to be considered social phobia, whereas in adults the symptoms can come and go with the waxing and waning of stress. For example, a person who has social phobia when single may find that it nearly disappears after marriage, but it flares up again after divorce or the spouse's death. In both children and adults, the symptoms tend to be ongoing and severe. More than half of those with social phobia also have specific phobia.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What can I do if I freeze when approaching narrow spaces?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To get “unstuck” from a freeze that may occur when you approach narrow spaces, try these tips:Do...
How do I overcome fear of flying?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
There are many ways to overcome fear of flying, but suffering in silence should not be one of th...
What research is being done regarding phobias?
Currently, there is research being done to test the effectiveness of new drug therapies on the anxie...