How do situational phobias affect the body?

Situational phobias may affect the body both physically and psychologically. Physical effects of a phobia include sweating, trembling, hyperventilating, heart palpitations, chest pains, nausea, and dizziness. Psychological effects include feelings of terror, dread, and panic. These may result in bodily effects, like having a sinking feeling in your stomach.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What is xenophobia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Xenophobia, according to Merriam-Webster, is the hatred and fear of foreigners or strangers or anyth...
Do phobias affect children differently than adults?
Phobias can affect both adults and children, and children of anxious parents are more likely to deve...
What can I do if I freeze when approaching narrow spaces?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To get “unstuck” from a freeze that may occur when you approach narrow spaces, try these tips:Do...