How do I know if I have a social phobia?

To figure out if you have a social phobia rather than a normal level of fear and nervousness in social situations, you may want to seek the guidance of a medical professional. If you fear being trapped in social situations, you may have some level of agoraphobia. Panic attacks can also be a symptom of an intense social phobia as well.

Katherine Lee
Social Work
You have social phobia if you find yourself being “abnormally” afraid of social situations where you may be embarrassed or judged. You might excessively worry about what others think of you or how you might humiliate yourself in others. This fear is very intense and interferes with your day-to-day functioning. 

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What research is being done regarding phobias?
Currently, there is research being done to test the effectiveness of new drug therapies on the anxie...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?
If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an o...
How do other illnesses affect phobias?
If you have intense phobias you could be more likely to use alcohol and drugs to numb or dissipate s...