How do I know if my child is likely to develop a phobia?

Your child is more likely to develop a phobia if you have dealt with one yourself. Also, research shows that a parent's anxiety level can effect whether or not a child develops a phobia. If you are concerned about how to minimize the effect of your own phobia or anxiety level on your child, it is important to speak with a mental health professional.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?
If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an o...
How common are phobias?
Individual phobias are not actually common. In fact, they are very rare. Social phobias and anxiety ...
Why do we often freeze up during public speaking?
This response is called tonic immobility, and it's not be confused with the inability to walk out of...