How do other illnesses affect phobias?

If you have intense phobias you could be more likely to use alcohol and drugs to numb or dissipate some of the anxiety associated with your fears. This may make you more susceptible to alcohol and drug abuse and addictions. Anti-anxiety medications may be prescribed by your doctor as a temporary way to manage symptoms, but they will not provide a long-term solution.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
How early can children demonstrate phobic behavior?
Even young children can demonstrate behavior that indicates that they will exhibit phobic behavior l...
What can I do if I freeze when approaching narrow spaces?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To get “unstuck” from a freeze that may occur when you approach narrow spaces, try these tips:Do...
What is a phobia?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
According to the American Psychiatric Association, a phobia is an uncontrollable, irrational, and pe...