What do I need to know about caring for a child with situational phobias?

If your child has situational phobias, remember that although the fear may seem excessive or irrational to you, to your child it is very real and can feel extremely terrifying. It is important therefore not to trivialize the child's fear, but instead to discuss the fear openly and respectfully. Taking pains to avoid the feared situation may have the unintended effect of reinforcing your child's fear, so instead provide your child with support and patience to slowly face and cope with the fear. Teach your child relaxation techniques to control the anxiety associated with the feared situation. If necessary, discuss treatment options with your child's doctor.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What are some examples of phobias?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Here's a brief list of specific phobias, including both the familiar and some of the more obscure.Ac...
What is a phobia?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
According to the American Psychiatric Association, a phobia is an uncontrollable, irrational, and pe...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?
If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an o...