How common are situational phobias?

Situational phobia is a type of anxiety disorder. Specific phobia, which account for many situational phobias, is one of the most common types of anxiety disorders, affecting 13 percent of women and 4 percent of men within a one-year period. Phobias associated with social situations are also common, with about 13 percent of all Americans experiencing it at some point in their lives.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
Why do we often freeze up during public speaking?
This response is called tonic immobility, and it's not be confused with the inability to walk out of...
How will my phobia affect my children?
Your own phobias may make it more likely that your children will suffer from phobias of their own. A...
What research is being done regarding phobias?
Currently, there is research being done to test the effectiveness of new drug therapies on the anxie...