How common are animal phobias?

Animal phobia is a type of anxiety disorder called a specific phobia. Specific phobia is one of the most common types of anxiety disorders, affecting 13 percent of women and 4 percent of men within a 1 year period. Zoophobia, or fear of animals, is the most common specific phobia. Animals most commonly feared are dogs, snakes, rodents, insects, and spiders. Often animal phobias develop during childhood and resolve by adulthood. If an animal phobia develops during or continues into adulthood, therapy can successfully treat the disorder in most cases.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?
If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an o...
How will my phobia affect my children?
Your own phobias may make it more likely that your children will suffer from phobias of their own. A...
How do other illnesses affect phobias?
If you have intense phobias you could be more likely to use alcohol and drugs to numb or dissipate s...