What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?

If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an official diagnosis. If your loved has a true phobia, it is best to follow a treatment plan outlined by a medical professional or mental health professional. This may include anti-anxiety medications and exposure therapy. Helping your loved one avoid the object of their intense fear is a temporary coping strategy, but will not help your loved one on a long-term basis.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
How early can children demonstrate phobic behavior?
Even young children can demonstrate behavior that indicates that they will exhibit phobic behavior l...
How common are phobias?
Individual phobias are not actually common. In fact, they are very rare. Social phobias and anxiety ...
How do I know if the kind of phobia I have is serious?
To know whether or not the phobia you have is serious, ask yourself how greatly it interrupts your a...