How do animal phobias affect the body?

Animal phobias can affect the body both physically and psychologically. Physical effects include sweating, trembling, hyperventilating, heart palpitations, chest pains, nausea, and dizziness.

Psychological effects include avoidance of the feared animal, inability to participate in normal activities because of anxiety about the feared animal, and feelings of terror, dread, and panic.

Although these symptoms may be a normal response to a genuine danger, in an individual with a phobia, the response to the feared animal is extreme and irrational.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
How do I know if the kind of phobia I have is serious?
To know whether or not the phobia you have is serious, ask yourself how greatly it interrupts your a...
How do phobias affect the body?
The affect phobias have on the body are somewhat similar to those experienced when real life and dea...
How can phobias go away without a doctor's care?
Sometimes phobias can go away and come back, depending on the circumstances one is facing in his or ...