Can I just avoid situations that trigger my social phobia symptoms?

Avoidance of situations that trigger the symptoms of social phobias is not a good long-term strategy for managing these disorders. While avoiding anxiety-provoking situations may keep you from having symptoms, the anxiety doesn't really go away. Treatment can help you make problematic social situations more pleasant and symptom free, so that you can function more comfortably without having to miss out on participating in your life.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
How do other illnesses affect phobias?
If you have intense phobias you could be more likely to use alcohol and drugs to numb or dissipate s...
Do phobias affect children differently than adults?
Phobias can affect both adults and children, and children of anxious parents are more likely to deve...
What research is being done regarding phobias?
Currently, there is research being done to test the effectiveness of new drug therapies on the anxie...