What are animal phobias?

Animal phobia is a type of specific phobic disorder, called Zoophobia, in which an irrational fear of an animal causes an intense physical and emotional reaction. Unlike reasonable fear associated with real-life danger, the phobia creates an excessive and irrational fear that interferes with an individual's daily life. Although an individual may recognize that the fear is irrational, the intense physical response to the animal is very real, and may include such symptoms as panic, terror, trembling, hyperventilating, and avoidance. Common animal phobias include the fear of dogs, spiders, snakes, and rodents, among other types of animals.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
Are phobias serious?
Most phobias are not serious and will not greatly impact your ability to live your everyday life. Ev...
What research is being done regarding phobias?
Currently, there is research being done to test the effectiveness of new drug therapies on the anxie...
How will my phobia affect my children?
Your own phobias may make it more likely that your children will suffer from phobias of their own. A...