When should I contact my doctor after I undergo a phlebotomy for cancer?

A phlebotomy is a procedure that will remove a specific amount of blood. Two common reasons for doing a phlebotomy are to remove excess iron or red blood cells from the circulation. Generally, one unit of blood (approximately 1 pint) is removed.

Contact your doctor or the nursing area that cared for you during the procedure if any of the following occur:
  1. Persistent faintness
  2. Active bleeding at the site that is not stopped by five minutes of pressure
  3. Chest pain

Continue Learning about Phlebotomy

What is a phlebotomy for cancer treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
A phlebotomy is a procedure that will remove a specific amount of blood. Two common reasons for ...
What is phlebotomy?
Phlebotomy is the withdrawal of blood from a vein, usually in your arm, for transfusion, diagnostic ...
What should I expect after I undergo a phlebotomy for cancer treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care